Oak Ridge Park
13675 Oaks Road, Hughesville, MD 20637
Located in Hughesville, Maryland on Oaks Road, the Oak Ridge Park Equestrian Area is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to Dusk (weather permitting). Features include a show area with two riding rings and miles of equestrian trails.
Show Area: This section consists of two sand arenas measuring 320' x 150' and 280' x 150'. Additional features include a large judges stand with roof and electric, bleachers, turf warm-up area, trailer parking area with water, portable toilets and additional trailer/spectator parking for large events. The show area is open on a first come basis, except during scheduled special events.
Oak Ridge Park Scheduled Equestrian Events
Special Events/Show Area Rentals
Oak Ridge is available for rental for special events and shows. Please call the Parks and Grounds Office at (301) 932-3470 for rental rates and availability.
Throughout the year, local equestrian groups schedule open and club events at the park. Participating organizations include: 4-H Mounted Wanderers, Potomac Valley Dressage Association (schooling and recognized events), Southern Maryland Quarter Horse Association, Maryland Arabian Horse Association, Southern Maryland Trail Riders and other local youth organizations.
*Please contact the above clubs/organizations directly for current event information.
There are over seven (7) miles of interconnecting equestrian trails at Oak Ridge Park. These trails are marked and well maintained, and offer an enjoyable and challenging riding experience for novice and experienced riders alike. Novice riders will enjoy the level wooded and meadow side features of the Orange and Green Trails. More experienced riders can find creek crossings, bridges and moderate inclines/declines on the Red, Yellow and Blue trails. Trail maps are posted on the bulletin board in the trailer parking area.
Oak Ridge Equestrian Area Rules
- All visitors use the facility at their own risk
- All riders under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Riders are required to possess a current negative coggins certificate for all horses and ponies.Facility open from 8:00 a.m. to dusk.
- The facility is for use on a first come, first served basis unless there is a scheduled event which has been permitted through the Department of Public Works.
- Trailers are to be parked in the "Trailer Designated" parking area. Please dispose of all manure, hay, etc. in the bins.
- Riding is prohibited in the athletic fields complex.
- During periods of inclement weather, it may be necessary to close the facility.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- No glass containers.
- Pets must be kept on a leash.
Maxwell Hall Park Equestrian Area
6680 Maxwell Hall Drive, Hughesville, MD. 20637
Located in Hughesville, Maryland on Maxwell Hall Drive. This Charles County park is open from 8 a.m. until dusk (weather permitting). Features include about 14 miles of diverse riding trails; open fields, wooded areas, steep terrain, shoreline, beach rest locations and a trail course.
Maxwell Hall Park is a membership only facility.
Annual Membership Application
There are six (6) main trails at Maxwell Hall Park, about 14 miles of riding trails. These trails are marked and well maintained, and offer an enjoyable and challenging riding experience for novice and experienced riders alike. Novice riders will enjoy traveling along the edge of field/woods areas (Red and Blue trails). Both the Red and Blue trail lead to the Patuxent River which feature rest locations. More experienced riders can find creek crossings, bridges, moderate/steep inclines/declines on the Orange, Brown and Green trails. The Orange trail also features a ‘judged trail course’ nestled in the woods (features 11 obstacles). The Yellow trail follows the edge of a field and features eight (8) cross country style jumps including logs, coops, brush boxes and straw bales. Remember - know your limitations, wear a helmet and always jump with a partner. Trail maps are available on the sign-in bulletin board located in the trailer parking area.
Our trails are open to hikers as well as equestrians. Dogs are permitted, but must be on a leash at all times. Bicycles and all forms of motorized vehicles (dirt bikes/ ATVs) are not allowed. If you see dirt bikes/ATVs on our trails, please call the Charles County Sheriff’s office at 301-932-2222 as soon as possible.
Don’t forget, Maxwell Hall Park is also a working grain farm - so be prepared to meet a tractor or two during your ride. And as always, stay off the crop land.
- Park is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
- Drinking water is not available.
- During periods of inclement weather and poor riding conditions, it may be necessary to close this facility.
- This facility is open for informal day use; unless there is a scheduled event which has been permitted through Charles County Government, Department of Public Works.
Maxwell Hall Equestrian Area Rules
- Park Membership is required to enter and use facility.
- Member stickers must be displayed on the left rear side of all horse trailers entering the park.
- Members are responsible for keeping gate closed and locked during and after use.
- Riders are required to possess current negative coggins certificate for all horses and ponies.
- Park is open 8 a.m. to dusk. After-hours use is prohibited.
- Riders are responsible for any damage incurred by their horses.
- Trailer parking in designated lots only.
- Marked trails only; Riding in unmarked areas and crop lands is strictly prohibited.
- No motorized vehicles on trails.
- Pets must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Tobacco use is prohibited.
- No alcoholic beverages.
- No glass containers.
- No open fires.
- Please don’t litter - Dispose of manure, hay, etc. in designated bins.
- All visitors use facilities at their own risk.
- All riders under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.