The Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism will be cancelling and postponing events and programs and closing the following facilities due to concerns over outbreaks of COVID-19. We will continue to assess the situation and will advise patrons and staff of new developments as they become available.
- Charles County Parks for passive recreation, including:
- Indian Head Rail Trail
- Walking and hiking trails at Friendship Farm Park, Gilbert Run Park, Laurel Springs Regional Park, Mallows Bay Park, Maxwell Hall Park, Oak Ridge Park, Pisgah Park, and Port Tobacco River Park
- Horse trails at Maxwell Hall Park (members only), Oak Ridge Park, and Friendship Farm Park
- Turkey Hill and White Plains Dog Parks
- Turkey Hill Disc Golf
- White Plains and Southern Park tennis courts
- White Plains Skatepark
- All playgrounds
- Patrons are strongly encouraged to practice social distancing and wear masks or face coverings if over the age of 2.
- The White Plains Golf Course is open with the following policies in place.
- Course hours: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Mandatory tee times are required; tee times will be offered every 20 minutes
- Tee time reservations may be made by calling 301-645-1300
- No walk-ups are permitted
- Credit card payments only; patrons will pay at the Pro Shop window
- One per person to a golf cart unless golfers are from the same household or family in which case 2 golfers are permitted to a cart.
- Patrons are asked to wear a mask or face covering per CDC guidelines until on the course.
- Course modifications have been made to limit contact including elevated cups, no water coolers, no ball washers, and no bunker rakes.
- All school-based community centers, indoor pools, the Port Tobacco Recreation Center, Elite Gymnastics and Recreation Center, Capital Clubhouse, and Waldorf Senior & Recreational Center are closed until further notice.
- Crain Memorial Welcome Center and Port Tobacco Historic Village are closed until further notice.
- Athletic fields and pavilions within Charles County Parks are closed until further notice.
- All summer camps have been canceled.
- All Charles County Recreation sports practices and games, drop-in programs, activities, classes, and events have been canceled until further notice.
- No organized sports practices or games are permitted at Charles County Parks or on Board of Education sports fields until further notice.
- Recreational fishing and boating are permitted within Charles County Parks.
- Kayaking and paddle boarding are a form of exercise and they are permitted under the Stay at Home Order. Guidance on social distancing and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.
Refunds will be issued for cancelled programs. For questions regarding refunds, please contact the Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Registration Office at 301-932-3470.
Last updated: May 20, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.