RecAssist is an annual (July 1 - June 30) scholarship fund program offered by the Charles County Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism to individuals who provide proof that they are current recipients of assistance from eligible programs listed below. Eligible recipients will receive an annual RecPASS which can be used for drop-in activities or daily admissions at Community Centers, Waldorf Senior and Recreation Center and swimming pools. Additionally, recipients will receive a $150 program credit to be used for recreation programs. Funding for this program is on a first-come, first-serve basis until funds are depleted. Participants would have a minimum of 20% co-pay per program activities.
RecAssist is not guaranteed and is approved based upon need, program space, and availability of funds. Receiving assistance does not give priority if registration is late and/or the class is full. All applicant’s personal information is kept confidential. Class instructors and program leaders are not informed of the applicant’s assistance status.
- Must be Charles County resident and show proof of residency. Proof of residency can include a copy of the following: valid driver’s license, utility bill, voter registration or housing lease.
- Must be currently enrolled in one of the programs listed below.
- Temporary Cash Assistance
- Supplemental Security Income
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Maryland Medicaid
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB)
- Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB)
- Applications must be submitted by an adult, or the parent or legal guardian of a minor on their behalf. The applicant is responsible for providing accurate information and supporting documentation.
How to Apply:
- Complete the Financial Assistance Application (Applications can be obtained online or in-person at Charles County Recreation, Parks and Tourism’s Registration Office, Waldorf Senior and Recreational Center, any Community Center or Indoor Pool).
- Attach a copy (no originals) of documentation showing proof of one of the above programs. Please black out any social security numbers.
- Applications must be returned either by mail or in-person to Charles County Recreation, Parks, and Tourism, 8190 Port Tobacco Road, Port Tobacco, MD 20677. Applications are also accepted at Waldorf Senior and Recreational Center.
- Approval is only valid from June 1 – July 30. A new application is required annually.
- Completed RecAssist Applications will be reviewed by Recreation Services Administrator. Charles County Recreation, Parks, and Tourism will notify you via email and/or phone of their approval or denial of RecAssist. This process may take up to 14 business days.
- Participant must be listed in a Charles County Recreation, Parks and Tourism RecTrac account that is active and in good standing. If an individual resides in multiple households, RecAssist can only be issued on one account. If a participant has never had a RecTrac account, a new account will be created by our registration office.
- RecAssist participants will abide by all normal registration policies regarding enrollment. Reminder, all Recreation programs are of enrolled on a first-come, first-serve basis and there is no priority enrollment for RecAssist.
- RecAssist can be used for most Charles County Recreation, Parks, and Tourism programs that are found in our Guide or listed on our website, www.CharlesCountyParks.com. RecAssist is not eligible for use for Discount Tickets, Event Rentals, Adult Sports Leagues, and is not accepted at White Plains Golf Course. RecAssist is also not eligible for use with any Aging Division Senior Programs
- Pre-Registration for programs is required to use RecAssist funds; funds are not eligible for use “at the door” on the day of the program. RecAssist funds are not eligible for use with instructor-led daily drop-in fitness classes (i.e. Water Aerobics, Zumba, Boot Camp) but can be used to purchase an adult fitness punch card.
- Program Registration using RecAssist must be completed in person through our main Registration Office, 8190 Port Tobacco Road, Port Tobacco, MD 20677. RecAssist is not able to be used in conjunction with online registration or for registrations over the phone.
- If classes are canceled by Charles County Recreation, Parks and Tourism, the participant will receive a full refund of their payment and RecAssist credit returned to their account.
- Participants withdrawing from an activity must notify our Registration Office at least 7 business days prior to the start of the activity. A full refund (80% credit back to RecAssist) and refund the 20% co-pay minus a $10.00 administrative fee will be given unless notification is less than 7 business days. If less than 7 business days, no refund will be given, nor credit back to RecAssist.
- If award assistance is not used by June 30, the scholarship expires.