The Department of Recreation, Parks and Tourism’s Sports Office introduces the “Good S.P.O.R.T.S Charles County” initiative. Our Good S.P.O.R.T.S value system, symbolized by the acronym SPORTS, will serve as the foundation to maintain a high standard of good sportsmanship allowing residents to enjoy their experience while playing, observing, or coaching in Charles County.
- Positive Attitude
- Obey the Rules
- Strive for Success
For information on our various adult and youth sports leagues, see below. To learn more about our sports clinics and programs, click here.
Schedules, Standings, and Guidelines
- Youth Indoor Soccer Guidelines
- Youth Volleyball Guidelines
- Youth Kickball Guidelines
- SMYSL Guidelines
- Pee Wee Basketball Guidelines
- Youth Basketball Guidelines
- Youth Select Basketball Guidelines
- High School Prep Guidelines
- Youth Summer Basketball Guidelines
Adult Sports Leagues
Games are played each Sunday at one of the various county schools. Team registration only. Interested individual players will be placed on a free agent list available to all coaches. Players must not be eligible to play at the high school level. 40+ League may have up to 2 players age 35+.
- Leagues available in the Fall and Winter.
- Available Leagues:
- 18+ Men's (A, B, and C)
- 18+ Women's
- 40+ Men's
Ten-match season (30 games). Team registration only. Interested individual players will be placed on a free agent list available to all coaches. Leagues are open to all playing levels. Players must not be eligible to participate at the high school level.
- Team Fee: $375
- Available Leagues
- 18+ Competitive Co-Ed
- 18+ Recreational Co-Ed
- 18+ Church League Co-Ed (Must be associated with local church organization)
This is one of Charles County's fastest growing leagues! The regular season will be round-robin format; teams play double-headers. A minimum of 12 players and a maximum of 20 players is permitted per team. Team registration only. Interested individuals will be placed on a free agent list available to all coaches. Players must be 18+ and not eligible to participate at the high school level.
- Team Fee: $475
- Free Agent Fee: $55 (Resident); $60 (Non-Resident)
- Available Leagues
- Division I (Tuesdays)
- Division II (Tuesdays)
- Division III (Wednesdays)
- Women's (Fridays)
Leagues play a regular 8-10 game season with round-robin play format. Only team registration will be accepted. Interested individual players may call to be placed on a free agent list that is available to all coaches. Players must not be eligible to participate at the High School level.
- Team Fee: $450–$700
- Free Agent Fee: $55 (Resident); $65 (Non-Resident)
- Available Leagues
- Women's 18+ (7v7, Sundays)
- Men's 18+ (11v11, Mondays)
- Men's 35+ (11v11, Wednesdays)
Round-robin format regular season with teams playing double-headers. Teams must have a minimum of 15 players and no more than 20 players. Team registration only. Interested individual players will be placed pm a free agent list available to all coaches. Players must be 18+ and not eligible to participate at the high school level.
Youth Sports Leagues
Charles County Youth League is a baseball and softball program open to players ages 4-18. CCYL is chartered with the Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth League and provides t-ball, coach pitch, machine pitch, and kid pitch baseball and softball experiences to players of all talent levels. CCYL also offers the Bambino Buddy Ball program for players with physical and/or emotional disabilities. This organization conducts their own registration.
- Co-Ed, Boys, Girls, Pee Wee, and Select leagues available for ages 5-18 in the Winter.
- Co-Ed, Boys, Girls, and Pee Wee leagues available for ages 5-17 in the Summer.
Youth Summer Basketball League
The community-based youth recreational leagues are, first and foremost, intended to provide a positive social experience for boys and girls with an emphasis placed on good sportsmanship, fun, and exercise. Teams are based on area, age, height, and experience. Players and coaches receive team shirt. It is your responsibility to select the correct shirt size. Additional $7 charge for new shirt size. Youth league practices will be held the week of June 22. The two-game-per-week season runs June 29-July 31. Games played at various locations. Leagues may be combined due to low program enrollment. League is countywide. League age is as of Sep 1, 2020. Players age 17 must be enrolled in high school. Registration is limited.
- Pee Wee Registration Fee: $65
- Age 8-17 Registration Fee: $80
- Registration Deadline: June 3
- Save $15 if registered by May 20!
Elite Gymnastics and Recreation Center offers a Cheer Tumbling class for children ages 6+. This class teaches the fundamentals of tumbling needed for cheerleading through drills and skill progression. For more information contact Elite Gymnastics and Recreation Center at 301-934-6747.
Independent Cheer Organizations
Each organization conducts its own registration. Please follow the links below for more information.
- Charles County Spartans: www.ccspartans.net
- Hughesville Hurricanes: www.somdyouthsports.com
- La Plata Blue Knights: www.lpbk.com
- Southern Maryland Hawks: www.smyahawks.org
- St. Charles Bears: www.stcharlesbears.com
- Waldorf Wildcats: www.waldorfwildcats.com
- Indian Head Chargers: www.indianheadchargers.com
- Westlake Bulldogs: www.westlakebulldogs.net
This exciting non-competitive league is offered in the Summer. Teams practice twice before playing a 6 game season.
- Co-Ed league available for ages 7-12 in the Summer.
Our Youth Outdoor Soccer Program is made up of six (6) separate associations:
- Bryans Road Soccer Association
- Indian Head Soccer Association
- La Plata Youth Soccer Association
- Pisgah Soccer Association
- Southern Maryland Youth Organization (SMYO)
- Waldorf Soccer Club
Boys and girls are eligible to compete in 6 age divisions: U6, U8, U10, U12, U15, and U18. League play takes place in the spring and fall. Spring season begins in April and fall season begins in September. Registration for spring season begins in February; fall season in July. Each association conducts its own registrations (times and sites vary).
For specific youth outdoor soccer information and to register, please contact the individual associations listed above.
Our community-based recreational youth leagues are, first and foremost, intended to provide a positive social experience for young boys and girls with an emphasis on good sportsmanship, fun, and exercise. Children are placed on teams based on area, age, height, and experience. Leagues may be combined due to low program enrollment. Carpool request, practice location requests, or requests for a particular coach cannot be guaranteed.
- Co-Ed leagues for ages 4-18 available in the Winter.
LPYSA Specials Needs TOPSoccer
TOPSoccer is open to players ages 4-19 with an intellectual, emotional, or physical disability. Our spring season will consist of 5-6 sessions held on weekends in April and May. During sessions, participants will engage in inclusive soccer drills and will be encouraged and guided by our TOPSoccer Buddies. LPYSA is also looking for volunteer Coaches and Buddies to help direct and assist our players. Go to www.lpysa.org and click on “TOPSoccer” to register for both participants and volunteers.
Youth Volleyball League
Our community-based recreational youth leagues are, first and foremost, intended to provide a positive social experience for young boys and girls with an emphasis on good sportsmanship, fun, and exercise. Leagues are countywide and open to youth in grades 5-8.
- Co-Ed leagues for grades 5-8 available in the Winter.